Whenever a web-query is made on search engine (like Google, Bing or Yahoo), algorithms determine the best matches for the submission entered. These results most commonly include organic pages alongside paid advertisements as well as specific locations (if they are applicable to what’s being searched).
Organic ranking is primarily based on a websites content and other determining factors which can be improved by using proper Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices and proper formatting strategies when building a website – A websites organic ranking cannot be improved by paying or through the use of SEM and paid advertising.
As a result, the only placement on the search results page that can be improved with paid services are the sponsored ads that can be seen just above the atop the organic results, along the right-hand side, or at the bottom of the page below organic results. This is what is called Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
An important thing to take into consideration when looking at SEO and SEM is how your website is set-up. It is crucial to have a website that’s easy for both users and web crawler indexing-bots to understand. While search engines continue to become increasingly sophisticated, a bot can’t interpret webpage/website content in the same manner a person does – Essentially SEO is used to help establish exactly what a given webpage is about each page is about, and how it may be useful for users.
The important thing to realize is that SEO does not directly promote your website, help generate business, or grow your organization. Search Engine Marketing provides prime real estate in terms of placement listings, and with search engines acting a the primary gateway to any business or organization, it is almost negligent and harmful not to actively engage in Search Engine Marketing and adopt proper SEO practices for web design.
In this environment, ranking is based on multiple factors such as keywords, ad-copy or the quality and relevancy of the destination page. SEM is special in the sense that it gives companies and organizations the ability to communicate their message to an audience that has expressed interest and intent towards a given subject. SEM is an effective way to help people find what they specifically looking for – You won’t get that with the blanket approach of a newspaper ad, radio commercial or TV ad.
The digital realm is always evolving and change is a constant. As a result, search engine marketing is a realistically a necessity for those who wish to remain relevant and competitive in their respective market – Similar to any business, a website competes for attention and placement in a given search engine seeking increased traffic and visibility. So how can your business or organization succeed if it can’t be seen or visited?
10 reasons to utilize digital advertising and adopt SEM platforms over traditional form of media:
- Attract the right customers – 90% of people search for a product or service using Google search. Their results will more then likely include your competitors, so everyday you aren’t using SEM platform, your competition is benefiting.
- Trackable Information – Gone are the days where your advertising campaigns deploy and you are leftwithout any quantifiable information to accurately determine a campaigns actual success rate. With digital advertising initiatives, your efforts are completely transparent where you are able to see how many people have clicked on a give ad, how much traffic to your site was generated as a result, how many phone calls were made as a result of your ads and how much they cost.
- Quick Deployment with A-B Variation Testing – Once a strategy is formulated SEM becomes almost instantaneous. And unlike traditional forms of advertising, digital advertising provides the opportunity to utilizes and test different creative, call-outs and redirect pages to ensure the best results form your target market and provide insight into what your audience responds to – which can give new insight in to a company or organization to help develop new revenue streams.
- Results-based format – When looking at SEM, the digital advertising format operates with a “Pay Per Click” system, so you only pay when someone clicks on your ad to visit your website. This means you are not paying for ad impressions users are exposed to, but only pay when your brand is engaged and user responds to your message.
- Bid for Placement – What are you willing to bid? And how much is a conversation or lead worth to your business? While bids are based on the key phrase popularity, you ultimately have the freedom to tell Google, Yahoo or Bing the maximum you’re willing to pay for the click (versus other who are also bidding on a given term). In the same respect you can also cap spending to account for business or organizations ability adequately manage the demands of the market
- Precise targeting – Google AdWords and SEM-based platforms allow for target just about anywhere in the world from precise neighbourhoods and cities to more broad national and international campaigns. The same is true for languages – AdWords platforms have the ability to create ads in any variety of languages all to ensure the best possible outcome to reach your target market.
- Quick & Easy, Instant Adjustment with Flexibility and Full Autonomy – Business objectives and goals can change unexpectedly – and a various points of an advertising campaign. SEM and Google AdWords takes this shift into consideration and allows adjustments to your AdWords account as needed. Budgets can be increased or decreased as needed, modify your call to action as your business or organization dictates, pause a campaign if inventory is delayed or if any unforeseen hiccup occurs. With SEM and Google AdWords Search (or other SEM platforms like Yahoo, Bing etc.) you have complete control and flexibility to make changes instantaneously – Imagine promoting a concert or event where the venue is changed or the featured guest/performer cancels, and you’ve got promotional billboards and print ads running… the cost associated with changing the creative and replacing promotional materials would be astronomical, Search Engine Marketing accounts for the unforeseeable without you having to suffer for issues that might be out of your control.
- Cost-Effective Budget flexibility – Unlike a Super Bowl TV commercial that could cost millions of dollars and potentially outside the scope of your company or organizations budget, SEM advertising with an AdWords-type platform allows you to spend within your budget – Our team of certified Digital Specialists have the ability to review and recommend advisable budget to ensure optimum ROI and demonstrate spending thresholds for most favourable results.
- Ad Extensions – Google AdWords – Search, Bing and Yahoo allow for the use of descriptive sitelink extensions which help create even more relevant ads and decrease bounce rates (as users can now focus on a dedicated page/call-out), ads can create higher link visibility which leads to more web traffic and increased click-through-rates (CTR). Keywords are boldly displayed making them standout and attracting more views. As a result, these ads also ultimately push your competitor’s site listings further down the page.
- Added Engagement – Advertising platforms are often the primary revenue generators for SEM suppliers like Google, Yahoo and Bing, so these platforms are constantly improving Pay-Per-Click (PPC) system – the higher functioning these platforms are the better it is for Google, Yahoo and Bing’s respective businesses. In some industries it has been found that PPC ads provide more conversions than organic listings. With features like product listings and in-video ads make the user more likely to click on an ad.